File extraction tool WinZip is now available across all Windows 10 devices in the form of a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app.
WinZip has long been the go to file extraction tool for many users, simply because it is a more complete service compared to the Windows 10 File Explorer. The extraction software is perfect for opening uncompressed shared files and now WinZip is available in app form for Windows 10 users, and it’s a Universal app too.
Microsoft’s growing Universal Windows Platform is slowly but surely seeing developer support, with major companies and known services developing UWP apps for the Windows 10 platform. WinZip is the latest, placing its own Universal Windows app into the Windows Store, which means the application is available for PC, tablets, and mobile handsets.
The app is a free download from the Windows Store and also features a subscription service that costs $7.99 per year and takes advantage of the UWP by making accounts useable across all form factors. The key feature of WinZip is the sheer amount of compression file formats it supports, with 26 different formats available.
The full list of features:
- Full support for the Windows 10 operating system, including PCs, tablets, and phones
Open .zip, RAR, 7z, .zipx plus 22 more formats, including .gz, .bz, .ISO, .CAB, .B64, .BHX, .BZ, .BZ2, .CAB, .HQX, .LHA and .LHZ, .MIM, .TAZ, .TBZ, .TBZ2 .TGZ, .TZ, .UU, .UUE, .XXE, and .Z
- Save to .zip and .zipx formats and secure confidential files from prying eyes, whether they are sent by email, shared online or stored on your system, with WinZip Universal’s military-grade encryption
- Ask your assistant to zip/unzip files for you-WinZip Universal works with Cortana
- Interact seamlessly with your DropBox, Google Drive, Box and OneDrive cloud services. Easily upload or download files, zip and encrypt before posting, and share links to files from your own email
- Easily send large files by email by zipping your attachments first or by using the integrated ZipShare file delivery service
- Securely share any type of file and rich content on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter using seamless integration with ZipShare
- Deliver zipped files to your contacts through email, social media or other Windows 10 apps using the Windows ‘Share file with app’ option from the WinZip ‘Share’ button
- Secure any files you send to mobile devices with WinZip’s password protection
- Experience super easy-to-use Microsoft Office tab-style interface with touch-friendly features
- Quickly see the content of very large zip files even those containing hundreds of files with the optimized user interface
- Drag files from Explorer and drop them on WinZip Universal to quickly add them to a zip file
Does this pique your interest? If so, head over to the WinZip page on the Windows Store and download the app whether you are on PC/tablet or mobile.